Welcome to My Daily Declarations! I’m Clara, I’m 22, and I’m a recent graduate from UGA. I’m currently working as a WIC Nutritionist in Athens with hopes to be matched to a Dietetic Internship in April of 2015. I can still remember the exact day that I became interested in the world of nutrition, and that was February 8, 2009. I woke up feeling disgusting after having eaten what seemed like a whole sleeve of Oreos. What initially started as a quest to fill my diet with healthier snacks and meals eventually lead to a genuine interest in health and nutrition. I loved seeing the positive results of eating healthier, from losing some weight to just feeling more energized and alert. Despite my friends coming to me for nutrition advice and requesting meal plans and “healthy diets”, I never considered a career in nutrition. Like, I actually had no idea that was a thing. Sure I had heard of a nutritionist before, but at this point in time nutrition was just a hobby. I entered UGA as an Exercise Science major, mainly because I didn’t know what else to do. I later switched to Health Promotion, but I still wasn’t satisfied. I wasn’t tapping in to what I truly enjoyed learning about, and that was nutrition and dietetics. After some serious soul-searching and kicking myself for dropping Gen Chem freshman year, I bit the bullet and changed my major to Dietetics. The science courses were daunting and I was off course to graduate with my friends, but I knew I would benefit in the long run.
Fast forward to December 2014 and I’ve graduated!! I completed the Dietetics major and even transferred my Health Promotion courses towards a minor in Public Health. I landed a job as a WIC Nutritionist that started two weeks to the day after I graduated, and it has been a learning experience every day. While I like what I’m doing now, I still want to get better, which is why I’m hoping to be matched to a Dietetic Internship this year. Even though it may seem like my life revolves around nutrition and health, there are plenty of other things that I enjoy 🙂 Below is a list of fun facts to get to know me a bit better.
- I’m an only child.
- I have my own jewelry line of handmade earrings, necklaces, and bracelets. I like to think I’m creative, and it’s a way to express my creativity. Thankfully some people actually like what I make.
- I participated in a number of sports and activities in my childhood; ballet, jazz, basketball, softball, competitive gymnastics, track, tennis, and cheerleading. Tennis and cheerleading were where my passion lied the most. I still reminisce about cheerleading and being able to do a back tuck on a regular basis.
- My interest in nutrition began junior year of high school, I read up on it all the time, but I didn’t decide to become a dietetics major until my junior year of college.
- I’ve run two half marathons.
- I studied abroad in Cortona, Italy and it was undoubtedly the best month of my life. My course was Viticulture and Enology, the cultivation of grapes and study of wine, but the Italian culture as a whole was unlike anything I’ve experienced before.
- Most people know this one — I love One Direction. So much so that it might be time for an intervention.
- I love the outdoors, evening rainstorms, and the sound of crickets.
- Fall is my favorite season.
- Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are my two most watched shows, besides Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives and Barefoot Contessa.
- I might be one of the most sarcastic people on the planet, but its always meant in good fun. I have a soft spot, I promise!